Mini Marts

Mini Marts
All 5 of us!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

18 Weeks Update Progesterone (17P) Injections Start*

Jeremy (20 months now) was born at 34 weeks. I went in to labor at 32 weeks they were able to stop contractions with Procardia and bed rest. I was one bed rest for 2 weeks and my water broke. Jeremy was born 21 hours later.  Since they don't know why I delivered early, I am at risk to deliver early again, maybe earlier. My doctor suggested I start getting Progesterone (17P) injections to help prevent pre-term labor.  I am at Loma Linda University Medical Center with Dr. Oshiro. He came very well recommended and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) has "one of the largest and most advanced centers in the world!" We feel that we are very well taken care of.  IF anything goes awry with this baby, he/she will have the best care possible! Plus, we have God on our side! We need to be resting in the inner peace He can provide for this to be a stress-free pregnancy.

Ok back to the injections. . .
There have been many case studies where 17P has relaxed the uterus and the babies were not born until a week after the last injection, usually given at 36 weeks. We did a lot of research and decided it was the right path for us.

So, the syringes and prescription came in the mail . . . .with no instructions! A little confusion on our part since Bobby was the one shooting me in the butt!! We went to the doctor's office to get further direction. It should be noted that you have to start taking the injections at 18 weeks. I am 18 weeks, one day today! The nurse was a little concerned because the bottle had some crystals in it. The P17 is in cotton seed oil (extremely thick substance). She went to ask another nurse if she had seen it and what to do about it. They were baffled! Next step was call the pharmacy and ask what the instructions were: "Heat the bottle in the microwave for up to 30 seconds and shake. Repeat up to 4 times until the crystals are gone." WHAT??!! The nurse had never heard of this. She went to ask the doctor. He was also confused. At this point, I'm a little worried, but I didn't realize how much. There was  nurse in the office that has administered the shot previously  and said the instructions were, in fact, correct. None of the case studies we read said anything about microwaving or administering it warm. We then realized, that this is a new form of the injection and the previous form was no longer available. The doctor said to go ahead and give the injection.

We get prepped. Bobby is watching very observantly. We only microwaved it for 10 seconds, 2 times.
Shot goes in.... I get DIZZY and FLUSH! Now, I am not a person that freaks out easily; nor have I ever passed out. I feel that am good with dealing with stress and can make logical decisions when stressed out. Today, however, I guess the emotions and stress got to me. I had to lay down for about 5 minutes and drink some water. After that I was fine.

It has been 2 hours and I don't feel different then any other day. I will keep you posted! Thanks for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment