Mini Marts

Mini Marts
All 5 of us!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Taking a Look Back: Jeremy's Pregnancy*

Left: 4 weeks                                                                        Right: 34 Weeks

A trip down memory lane! Of course, being on bed rest again reminds me of Jeremy's pregnancy, bed rest, NICU stay, and how life was adjusting to an infant. I have a journal from that time and I want to organize it and add pictures. I'll post it in a few different posts. It will be good to go through the pictures and find the good ones, too! I'll start with the pregnancy.

I have always wanted to be a mom. I didn't like college, it bored me. I felt it was a waste of my time because I wanted to be a mom. So why waste all the time and money, only to stay home and take care of kids.  Bobby wanted to wait a few years, so that left me with the realization I need to capitalize on this time and get some schooling to fall back on if B were to loose his job or God forbid, I were to loose him. I decided to study kids! What a great move! I got my Early Childhood Education Credential, while nannying and working at a preschool.
June 2, 2007

After 3 years of Marriage Bliss, B was ready! Yay!!We found out we were pregnant after only 2 weeks of being off the pill! I counted my days and thought I was "late." Come to find out I hadn't even missed my period! HA!  I took a test before B got up to go to work. PLUS sign! Here's our conversation as I was waking him up for work:

Me: "I'm pregnant." 
B: "No way, it's only been 2 weeks!"   
Me: "Wanna see the test."
B: "Well looky there, a little positive."

And off we went, our separate to work with a whole new outlook on life. 

B will tell you from the moment he found out, his mind set changed. He was now responsible for a little precious gift God had given us. We decided not to tell anybody for a while. But of course, I just couldn't keep it in completely!! I called Danielle, she didn't answer! So I sent her a picture of the test! And we told Jackie! She was living with us at the time and camping that week. She came home that afternoon to grab a few things and I showed her the test! I also told my director and aide at work. This way if morning sickness became an issue, they would know why. Thank you Jesus, I didn't have any! They are both very involved in J's life! It's so sweet to see their bond and know it was from the beginning! 

We waited until Halloween to tell our family. A grueling month! Jackie did so well keeping our secret! We had both our families over, it was a fun day! We played this song for them:


My pregnancy was pretty mellow up until 31 weeks. Doctor's check ups were all good, blood tests came back normal, I didn't have morning sickness, or wasn't insanely uncomfortable. I have scoliosis so I went to the chiropractor once a week and kept my back in check.  We had decided on Noah for a name. We had yet to think of a middle name.

 At 31 weeks, I had a day where my back was in so much pain. We were at a store and I couldn't stand up, then we headed to my Aunt's house for a family day. I sat on the couch for 4 hours with heat on my back. I just thought the baby was pulling in a weird spot and it was effecting my scoliosis. I hadn't even read up on labor because it was too early. We left 2 days later to go to Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort. It was a 5 hour dive. My back hurt but not like 2 days before. By day 2, I was uncomfortable, still not thinking anything of it, just, "This must be the part of pregnancy where you start to feel uncomfortable."  We got home at 9pm the following day. I was feeling fine. It seemed my back had let up a little and I was looking forward to a good night's sleep in my bed! By this point, I had rolled into my 32nd week.
The day we left Mammoth. 32 weeks

At about 12am, I woke up to pee and saw some blood. This is a panic feeling to a pregnant woman! It wasn't a ton of blood just a few spots but nonetheless. Then I realized I actually woke up because I was having intense back pain! As I laid there trying to fall asleep, I begin to think I may be in labor.  I wake B up and ask him to start timing contractions. They were only in my back so I didn't know if it was really contractions. We woke Jackie up to let her know and headed to the hospital. It took 20 minutes to get there and by that time I was having full on contractions, 5 minutes apart, and still bleeding. We went in through the emergency room and they sent us upstairs. We were cracking up because they were so scared, they wouldn't even take vitals! 

I had to stop 3 times on the way up to take a break. (By the way, I am still not thinking this is full on labor.  I thought they'd say just go home take it easy put your feet up. I had no idea what was in store!) We get up to Labor & Delivery, the nurse is very calm, asks B to fill out the paperwork. I ask for something to cover the chair because I may bleed all over it! She takes her time getting paperwork done, getting me in a room and hooked up to the monitors. When he saw the monitors she said, "OH you ARE having contractions!" Well, DUH!! I was squirming on the chair in the waiting room and crying! 

The nurse called my doctor to decide on a plan of action. She came in and said, "You are in active labor and we are going to do everything we can to stop it." I balled my eyes out. It was too soon! The baby wasn't big enough or strong enough to survive yet. He still needed 8 more weeks to incubate! Bobby prays. We send out messages letting family know and ask for more prayers.

My doctor come in to do an exam, I am 2cm dilated and fully effaced. They start me on Procardia, a medication to stop contractions, and give me a shot of steroids, to help mature the baby's lungs.  The Procardia works! Praise the Lord! 12 hours later, I get another dose of steroids and an ultrasound to measure the baby. It was the most painful thing! We measure Little Jeremy (we were still calling him Noah) at 4 pounds 7 ounces. The contractions had stopped and I wasn't dilating any further. They kept me for another 12 hours to observe and then let me go home on strict bed rest! The nurses were saying I was really lucky that my doctor let me go home because usually she keeps her patients until they deliver. I say God was answering our prayers. 

For the rest of the story: 

Taking a Look Back: Jeremy's First Year

No comments:

Post a Comment